Monday, June 6, 2016

Russia

     I love Russia, it is my fourth homeland, after America, Guinea and Switzerland... All of which I also love. I fell in love with Russia in the year 2002, having first loved her great authors, poets and composers. And then, having lived, suffered, grown, studied, taught and learned in St. Petersburg for five years, I left the country with a deep sense of affiliation with Russia and Russians. Finally, I married a Russian woman and we are raising a child whose first language and culture is Russian. Through them, I am Russian.

    But most importantly, God's Orthodox Church has found refuge in Russia, and has grown. And as the Church is our True Homeland and eternal calling, a natural patriotism has been forged in me, and many like me, for Russia.

    Nonetheless, one should be careful when making the connection between our earthly home, through which we enter our Heavenly home, and our Eternal Homeland. For the latter supersedes in all respects and beyond our reason, anything earthly, material, political or even human...

    Our earthly homeland, even our Local Church, are but stepping stones, from where we may lift up into Heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment